The Kuixing Pavilion, and the last remaining section of the Gaoyou City
Wall or Song Wall (宋sòng = Song Dynasty,
墙qiáng= wall) are located on the corner of Pipa Lu and Youcheng Lu. The
wall section is the SE corner of the City Wall that once ringed
Gaoyou. The pavilion and wall are at the SE corner of a large open
park/plaza that is a popular morning exercise location.
The pavilion was constructed of brick and wood in the 3rd year of the
reign of Emperor Tianqi (AD 1623) during the Ming Dynasty
(1368-1644). The name Kui comes from one of the “Lunar Mansions” in
Chinese Astrology. There are 28 Lunar Mansions, one for each day of
the lunar cycle, Kui 奎is the 18th. It is said that if a child is born with Kui (the moon
on the 18th day) high in the sky, he or she will have many talents.
The City Wall and the moat that surrounds it were built in fourth year
of the reign of Kai Bao (AD 969) during the Northern Song Dynasty
(960-1279) The wall is (was) 8 meters high, 5 meters wide, and over
5 kilometers long.
After the liberation of the city in 1949 most of the wall was demolished. The
only part of the wall that remains is the 122-meter (400 ft) section
that the pavilion is built on. Much of the moat that once encircled
the wall remains.
Access to view the Pavilion is easy and open by approaching from the northwest
side of park. The bottom level of the pavilion is totally sealed off
and there are no provisions for tours or other information.
Resources for “The Kuixing Pavilion and Gaoyou City Wall”
- A book available for purchase at the China Post office in Gaoyou,
Gaoyou - A Famous Historical and Cultural City Author and publisher
- The Kuixing Pavilion and Song Wall page on the website www.gaoyou.com